Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Letters to Santa!

It’s that time of year: when students are done learning, teachers are done teaching, and the teaching assistant is asked to talk about Christmas almost every day. Luckily, I certainly have not yet and hopefully never will tire of talking about Christmas, so I’m happy to do all these lessons! Plus, I can do different activities with different classes, depending on their age and skill level, thus keeping it exciting for me!

It’s been really fun learning about the Austrian version of Christmas, which is surprisingly different from the typical American Christmas (even though traditions vary widely within America as well).  For example, there is a Christmas figure here called Nikolaus, who is basically St. Nicholas, and essentially the closest thing they have to Santa. Children celebrate Nikolaus on December 6th by putting their shoes on their windowsills or outside their doors. Nikolaus visits the kids at night and puts treats in their shoes following the same rules as stockings in America: rocks or coal for the bad kids and candy for the good ones. One of the teachers dressed up as Nikolaus at school last week and visited all the classes, bringing them mini oranges, apples, peanuts, and chocolate. I didn’t know he was coming to one of my classes so I was as surprised as the kids when he walked in! He even visited the 18 year olds, keeping the fun alive even through adolescence! :)

Because they don’t have a Santa Claus as we know him, I thought it would be fun to focus on the character of Santa for the Christmas lessons I’m doing with younger kids. Today I worked with the 2nd form, meaning they’re around 11-12 years old and generally in their 2nd year of learning English. After telling them a little bit about Christmas in America, I had them write letters to Santa! You can imagine this activity produced some real gems. Here are some of my favorites:

I just enjoyed this line of this letter. Nationalstolz FTW.

Homegirl is not shy about her requests. What is she going to
do with an iPhone 4S AND and iPhone 5?

creative decorations!

After reading 18 letters all asking for iPads, cell phones, Wii games,
and other technology things, it was lovely to see a girl request
books, stuffed animals, and movies! Well done, girl, well done.

I just like that she added a PS with more things she thought of :)

Three guesses as to what she wants to do during her break. 
This wins the prize for most adorable letter ever. It's hard to read, but she wants ski trousers and a cell phone case.
Favorite line: "And give Mrs. Claus a kiss from me :)"
After class I showed another teacher all the letters and she suggested with do the same activity with the 17 year olds next week! I'm excited to see how it goes with them!

3 comments:

  1. So adorable! Harrison and I always asked Santa for "toys, books and surprises." Except for the one year (I think I was 5 or 6) when all I wanted was snow for my dollhouse. Santa outdid himself with "snow" and a mini tree with ornaments so my dolls could celebrate Christmas as well! Santa is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have them listen to "Six To Eight Black Men" by David Sedaris. You can find it on youtube. I have to almost pull off the road the first time I listened to it because I was laughing so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the kid who wants all the snowboard stuff doesn't just wind up with a rare book called "the art and artistry of alpine snowboarding."

    ReplyDelete