Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Munich Part 2: The Lumineers!

The primary reason for going to Munich was the Lumineers concert, and it was nothing short of amazing. The opening band was called Langhorne Slim & The Law. I had never heard them before, but I really enjoyed their stuff. They were a kind of bluegrass, folk, rock fusion, if you will, with really incredible instrumentals. Most of their stuff was SUPER catchy and mostly they were just a blast to watch/listen to. And, seeing instruments like a banjo and harmonica and made me feel so at home!! (I never thought that I, a California girl, would find myself nostalgic for a banjo....).
 You can see the totally sick banjo-ing going on in the video below:
At the end of the opening set, the Lumineers came out and the bands played a song together, which was just adorable, and I wanted to go onstage and sing along with them because they looked like they were having so much fun!

Then the Lumineers came out. Oh man. I'd say they were even better live than they are on their CD, which I think says a lot about a band. They were fun, and beautiful, and transitioned from dance party to emotional ballad so perfectly. At one point they came out into the audience with acoustic guitars and hand-held percussion instruments, and stood on these boxes in the middle of the crowd to sing one of their most popular songs, which required audience participation. At that point they were less than 5 feet from where we were standing. It was such a cool thing to do. They also requested that everyone put cameras and phones away and "just be with us in this moment" so I didn't take any pictures of that. But here are others:
They played every single song on their album and one new song, which was a duet between the lead singer Wesley and the cello-player Neyla, and it might be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I cannot wait for their new album to come out so I can listen to that song over and over again! At the very end they brought Langhorne Slim back out and they again all played a song together (The Violent Femmes' "I Like American Music"--I cheered a lot during that one...I've been feeling super patriotic lately).
 Here are some videos I took of the Lumineers playing. In order the songs are: Flowers In Her Hair, Stubborn Love, and Ho Hey


If you have the chance to see these guys live, GO. All four of us absolutely loved every minute of the night, and on the train ride home the next day we all decided we just wanted to rewind 12 hours and experience it all one more time. And then again. And then again.

No comments:

Post a Comment