Sunday, April 28, 2013

Springtime In Vienna

Get ready to be blown away by beauty.

You guys suffered through my complaining about the miserable weather for months and months, but I am delighted to share that after a record-breaking sunless winter, Spring is finally here in full force, and the results are well-worth the wait. It's like the city spent the past 6 months preparing me for this incredible going-away gift and now, the month before I leave, it's torn open the wrapping paper for me and revealed all the incredible beauty the city's been hiding for so long. It seems as if the city bloomed over night. All of a sudden there are wild flowers everywhere, blossoms on the trees, and so many places I didn't even know were green are incredibly lush. I find myself saying over and over and over again "THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL" because I literally cannot find the proper words to describe everything!

In the past few weeks the weather has been gorgeous; blue skies, sunshine, temperatures in the 70s. I've even gotten sunburnt a few times. It's great. With this gorgeous weather comes the opportunity to finally explore the many many parks and gardens this city is famous for. The past few weeks I've spent many afternoons wandering through the various palace gardens (of which Vienna has no shortage), finally getting a chance to see them in their glory. Sitting on a bench in the sun, reading a book while small children and puppies run around on the grass near me makes me SO incredibly happy!

Here are some pictures of the various places I've been. The first is, of course, Schönbrunn, where I spent a delightful afternoon sitting on the hill that overlooks the palace, pinching myself to make sure my life is actually real.
Back to Schönbrunn, finally with some blue sky!
Sissi Garden on the side of the palace
These yellow trees are everywhere! They sprung up
out of nowhere and they are so vibrant and wonderful!
Side garden I hadn't yet discovered--sadly the
flowers aren't blooming yet. Looks like I'll have to go back!
I did a project on the Belvedere Palace for my German class Sophomore year, but I haven't gotten the chance to go yet! It's right in the middle of the city, but feels like its own little world...
 Part of the botanical garden on the side of the palace 
There was a little flower market going on when I was there,
including this delightful assortment of handmade baskets!
Garden and Lower Palace 
Back of the Upper Palace
Front of the Upper Palace
Today I had some time to kill in the afternoon so I went to read a book in the Volksgarten, which is part of the giant Hofburg complex. I had been here before, but it was absolutely unrecognizable! The flowers are stunning and the grass is so green it looks fake. I can't wait until the roses start blooming!! That's what the garden is most famous for.
These tulips are absolutely incredible 
Sissi statue and adorable little fountain
Roses, not yet blooming unfortunately!
The Rathaus peeking out above the trees on the edge of the park
I'm not the only one enjoying the park in the sun! 
In the coming weeks I have lots of fun stuff planned, including a road trip through western Austria, and lots of little day trips! I have just about 5 weeks until I go home so its time to start checking items off my bucket list. I'm just so glad that we finally have some great weather so I can fall in love with Vienna all over again just in time to go home. Love to all!!

1 comment:

  1. This is NOT what everything looked like 2 weeks ago!!! Not fair! But, we loved it even as it was then! So glad you get to experience it in all its glory before coming home!

    ReplyDelete