Monday, October 15, 2012

Pop Goes the Culture: Julian le Play

Welcome to Part I of what will become an ongoing series about everything I learn in the world of Austrian pop culture. Today's topic, Austrian heart-throb Julian le Play. The other day I read in the horrible train-newspaper about a concert he gave to a million screaming teenage girls, so I decided to check him out. I actually really like his music!! He's not terribly original or anything, but his music is catchy and that's frankly all I need. Also, I can understand his lyrics, which helps. I would characterize him as an an Austrian Jack Johnson (but more exciting) mixed with an Austrian David Archuleta (but less annoying). He was on the TV show "Helden von Morgen" which is essentially X-Factor, American Idol, etc. This is his most popular song, and it's basically a love song of sorts, about these people who love each other but can't be together, so they imagine a life where they can. Kind of. Whatever. Even if you don't understand the song, the music video for "Mr. Spielberg" (below) is really great. So, enjoy!


And here's a video of him singing in English, a song that everyone loves, if that makes you feel better:


He also really looks like Zach Braff.

No comments:

Post a Comment