Monday, October 8, 2012

Wanderung im Wienerwald: I have no idea where I am BUT IT IS BEAUTIFUL

I don’t teach on Mondays so I decided to go on a hike today. The trouble was, the two maps I have of trails surrounding Purkersdorf are horrible, and no matter how hard I tried to follow them, I kept losing my place. So I ended up using a combination of posted signs pointing out landmarks, a red and white trail marking painted on trees (no idea what trail it refers to, but I was following it), intuition with regards to direction, and an open-minded-lets-explore-even-if-we-get-lost attitude to make my way through the woods. The strategy worked surprisingly well, and I ended up stumbling upon some incredible views. Pictures to follow:




The best part of the hike was my decision to follow signs to the "Aussichtwarte" which I assumed would be a nice view point clearing kind of thing. What I found, however, was a HUGE tower (see below) that went up 126 steps to a platform with an unreal 360 degree view of the whole valley below. SO GREAT.




A few lessons I learned today:
  1. When you hike through the woods the day after a full day of non-stop rain, there will be a lot of mud, and you will slip in it. Repeatedly.
  2. When a path diverges, the correct direction to go is always up. More often than not, you will be rewarded with a beautiful view.
  3. Do not let yourself get a One Direction song stuck in your head before hiking. It will drive you crazy by kilometer 2.
Back to the classroom tomorrow! I have to talk about violence on Wednesday...need to think about planning that one...

BONUS: A video of my view from the top of the tower!



3 comments:

  1. I love hearing your beautiful voice :) So glad everything is going well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! So beautiful!! What is that swimming pool in the first photo? Did you know what the word "aussicht" meant when you saw the sign? I really can't wait until we come to see it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pool is the Wienerwald Freibad, which I like because it almost rhymes. I haven't been there though. And yes, I knew Aussicht which is why I thought it would be a great Zielpunkt!

      Delete